[geeks] Sun Fire V120 Server -vs- Apple Xserve

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jun 20 20:20:37 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, June 20, 2002 at 21:58:27 (+0200), William S. wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Sun Fire V120 Server -vs- Apple Xserve
>
> One thing I left out in my original question is
> how the G4 processor would be compared to the
> SUN's. Seems like I hear alot of how the
> G4 really kicks out alot on the desktop.
> Wondering how that translates on the server level.

On a server CPU doesn't usually matter as much as I/O throughput
(including memory throughput).  (unless you're really only using your
servers for CPU tasks like graphics rendering or code cracking or gene
folding or other scientific modeling, etc.)

I don't know a lot about the design of any Sun machine in the same price
range as the Xserve, but from what I've seen of the Xserve so far it's
got the most amazing chipset, with extreme memory throughput, full gigE
on its own channel, amazing PCI/AGP throughput, and on top of all that
it's got four ATA/100 controllers, one for each disk, and also
apparently out on its own channel.  The machine should be blinding fast
as a server, esp. for that price range.  It really was designed to be a
small server.

--
								Greg A. Woods