[geeks] Sun Fire V120 Server -vs- Apple Xserve

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 20 14:40:09 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:35:39PM +0200, William S. wrote:
> I am looking optimistically to the future
> where I might try setting up a server on
> a small scale to provide my own content and
> then perhaps host other web sites.
>
> Since I am at a point where I have very little
> in the way of processing power now I would need to
> get something up to the task. I would rather
> avoid getting a PC and go for
> stability.
>
> The content would be based on documents
> served via php tied in to a database.
> I dont think there would be any need to
> consider streaming media stuff.

So, are you colocating?

Now, I'm not a professional at this, but if it were me, I'd definately
go for the Sun then.  The Xserve looks fun, but if the machine isn't
proven at remote management to my satisfaction.  With solaris, you
already know you can fix it from anywhere from any internet
connection, unless the OS somehow got screwed, in which case, if you
get someone to insert a CD and have it hooked to a term server, you
can even do a remote OS install.  I believe you can't do that on an
XServe.

If the machine is to be hosted at your house or job, then which ever
you think would be more fun is probably the most appropriate choice.

--
Joshua D. Boyd