[geeks] Apex DVD players

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jun 19 18:18:43 CDT 2002

What are peoples current thoughts on the current cheap DVD player
market?  Apex has some interesting new models (the 1500 and 1100W).
There are some interesting hack, mainly along the lines of flashing
the firmware.  In that aspect, it seems inferior to my non flashable
500w, which I can do insert multiple copies of the firmware and switch
between them (with the addition of a switch to the case of course).

Brands outside of Apex don't appear to be getting as much attention.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new cheap DVD player so that I can
spare my 500w for some upgrades.  Probably won't do anything soon, but
I just realized that my waranty is up, which is what I'd been telling
people I was waiting for.  Besides, it would be kinda nice to have a
player in the computer room since nothing seems to work well under
linux (but that might be because of a really crappy DVD drive).

--
Joshua D. Boyd