[geeks] Re: the Hindenburg disaster....

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Jun 19 12:13:27 CDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> Furthermore, the substance used to coat the cotton skin  a process
> known as "doping" which makes the fabric taut and more durable  was
> extremely flammable. A combination of iron oxide, cellulose acetate and
> aluminum powder, "the total mixture might well serve as a respectable
> rocket propellant," Van Vorst said.

That's thermite. It would have taken a lightning strike to touch off,
since thermite has a very high ignition temperature.

And his assumption is correct. I have to wonder how Germany got away with
building these things -- they are after all, some of the largest bombs
ever made. (Hydrogen, thermite, etc).