[geeks] Professional Organizations

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jun 18 23:04:51 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 16:43:23 (-0400), Michael A. Turner wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Professional Organizations
>
> 	Alright, at the expense of hurting the feelings of our non-working
> members, I am looking at ditching my current job for a new job (greedy I
> know an I am sorry). While putting my resume back into shape I noticed my
> complete and utter lack of professional activities. Other than my membership
> in ACM I have nothing. I pose the question, what professional organizations
> exist out their for people in our line of work? Other than the dark order of
> the BOFH that is.

NANOG (not a real membership org, though there is a guaranteed seat for
attendees of two past conferences) and SAGE for the more operational
folks.  USENIX and IEEE for the more technical side of things.

I was a member of ACM but gave it up for the time being (it's quite
expensive if you subscribe to many publications), and am now only a
participant in NANOG and a member of USENIX and the IEEE.

If you count NANOG as a "professional organization" then you could also
count the IETF.....

--
								Greg A. Woods