[geeks] combatting smokers

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 18 17:22:30 CDT 2002

> Wrong. Chances are, if the ventilation hood system for all the
> apartments
> is hooked together (which I've never heard of but hey, I've heard of
> stranger things), the building is old enough that the design is
> well-Grandfathered in and thus the building owners don't have to do
> a thing. It'd be different if it was a brand new building and subject to
> newer building/fire codes.

what do you mean by "grandfathered"? and don't older buildings have to
conform to newer codes? just recently there was an electrical fire in an
apartment building here and the building was evacuated (by order of the
fire dept) until the wiring could be brought up to the current code.

> The most he might be able to accomplish is to ask the managers if he
> could
> move to another apartment next to a non-smoker and hope they stick
> around.

kind of silly given the high "turnover" in apartment buildings.

alex