[geeks] Professional Organizations

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 18 16:52:48 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 04:43:23PM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	Alright, at the expense of hurting the feelings of our non-working
> members, I am looking at ditching my current job for a new job (greedy I
> know an I am sorry). While putting my resume back into shape I noticed my
> complete and utter lack of professional activities. Other than my membership
> in ACM I have nothing. I pose the question, what professional organizations
> exist out their for people in our line of work? Other than the dark order of
> the BOFH that is.

Employers will tend to look at experience and certifications before looking
at something you pay $50/year to be a member of.  The only thing I list
on my resume is the ARRL (american radio relay league).  I figure with all
the paranoia going around about terrorists and disasters, being a ham cant
hurt. 8-)

Bill K5WCB

--
Bill Bradford