[geeks] Is it too much to be pissed...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 18 11:17:05 CDT 2002

> The modern Phalanx is a (I think) multi-barrel gun designed to protect
> ships. It send thousands of rounds per second into the air and is designed
> to prevent penetration of airspace by enemy aircraft. It is nicknamed the
> "wall of lead" by the servicemen who live behind it.

It's a chain-gun mounted to a self-contained radar and FOF (freind or
foe) system.  When it detects and incoming object it determines whether
it is a threat or not, and if it is a threat it will spew out a couple
hundred (or thousand) rounds on an intercept course.  It's very
interestingto note that modern phalanxs also use their radar to track
the path of the projectiles it spews out, and make adjustments as
necessary to intercept the target.

The goal of modern phalanxs is not to destroy the target/threat with
projectiles, but rather destroy the air-worthiness of the target and
cause it to crash or be ripped apart by weakeing it's frame or skin.

I may have videos of this somewhere...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com