[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 18 07:41:32 CDT 2002

William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> Just thought several here would find this article interesting. It seems
> that Disney is planning to replace it's Irix workstations with HP
> workstations running Linux.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/18/technology/18LINU.html

Ugh, asks for an account - I already get enough spam...

Anyway, that's a big mistake.  Not that moving from SGI is a mistake,
but moving *to* HP is a mistake.  I have never seen a greater collection
of crap PCs than those pandered by HP.  The Compaqs are _okay_ (they're
better than HP, but I'd never buy one), but HP makes some seriously shit
workstations.

I'm really disapointed in SGI's marketing efforts.  I'm also disapointed
in their product offerings.  They really need to bring a *Unix* (NOT
NT!!) workstation into the lower price-point market, or they won't
survive the next five years.  They've got the O2, Fuel, and Octane2
workstations - what they need is a 'helium' priced below the Fuel, and a
'diesel' worked in there somewhere too, possibly an Octane2
replacement.  The Octane2 is a great platform, but it's been around
since, what, 1996?  They need a fresh product in the high-end
workstation segment to generate market excitement.  The stagnant nature
of SGIs products is part of their problem (IMO) in the commercial
sector.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com