[geeks] Is it too much to be pissed...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jun 17 07:12:57 CDT 2002

James Sharp wrote:

> That a company wants to run a fucking credit report against me before
> they'll consider hiring me.
>
> My past financial problems are none of their fucking concern.

No it's not too much.  I fail to see the correlation between credit
report and fitness for employment.  I have, in the past, refused to
submit to that.  My credit history is *my* business, not theirs.

You're not taking out a loan, you're providing a service for a price
(salary).  If anyone should be pulling financial statements these days,
it should be potential new employees - especially given the tendency of
tech companies to fall apart every spring.

Over the last four years I've been layed off 4 times in the April-May
timeframe, by 4 different tech companies.  With the latest one, when I
asked whether income matched expense, I was told that the company is
self-sustainable without using venture capital.  I interpreted that to
mean that the company was paying bills and salaries with income from
clients - that wasn't the case obviously.  The company still needed
investments to survive, but since they weren't "venture capital" (they
had a few "angel" investors) the statement was true.  Had I had an
opportunity to peruse financial statements (even lightly) I would have
seen that.

Pulling credit reports is nothing new, but that doesn't make it okay.  I
don't think it's germane to anyone's fitness for employment, but maybe
I've never had it explained to me intelligently enough to understand
why.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com