[geeks] Catching up

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Jun 11 19:29:28 CDT 2002

I tried sending something a few days ago and had a problem, I think Bill
fixed it so let's find out.  I've been lurking here for a long time, but
have contributed little, if anything, so here goes:

1) Age: I'm not going to directly tell you my age, but I will tell you I
   was born during the time the USA officially had a 49-star flag.

2) Politics: I haven't agreed with much of anything that came out of
   either of the two parties in years.

3) Guns: You can never too many (unless you start forgetting where they
   all are).

4) Computers: I miss toggle switches and blinking lights (but not punch
   cards).  I did briefly have Arpanet access back in '79, so I guess
   that make me an old-timer.  My fingers learned how to edit in Emacs
   back then too (the ITS TECO version on a TOPS-20 machine), and every
   computer I've used since has had an Emacs port, so I'm one of those
   people who think vi is the tool you use to get Emacs running.

5) UNIX OS: Other than the fact that it has taken me longer to port some
   code from SunOS to Solaris than the ports to HP-UX and Linux
   combined, and the fact that Sun and HP seem to change things just
   because they can, I don't care too much.  Contrary to many of you
   though, I like RedHat.

6) Windows: It doesn't bother me near as much as it used to.  I guess
   I'm getting old.

7) Amy: I think Amy is a wonderful person and her presence here benefits
   all of us.

8) Climate: I do like the fact that here in NJ we have four seasons.

9) Food: My parents lived in the Dallas area for a few years.  I miss
   being able to visit them and enjoy proper barbecue.  The best ribs
   I've ever had were from a place in New Smyrna Beach Florida.  And I
   can eat pizza every day and never tire of it.

10) Cars: I used to care.  Don't anymore.

I think that touches on all of the important topics, right?

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator