[geeks] using script to generate files from a template

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 16 11:46:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, William S. wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Thank you for that idea. When your reply came in
> I was reading the awk manual in anticipation of
> generating all the files. Instead, I should probably
> be reading the php, XSL stuff for ways of setting
> variables, etc.

PHP is an amazing tool.  They keep adding features to it, so sometimes it
can be pretty hard to keep up.  There's a CLI version of it in the source
now, so you can use it as a generic scripting language.  Someone came up
with the idea of making some PHP bindings for GTK and writing, I kid you
not, a PHP IDE in PHP-GTK!

> In regards to security. It might be
> nice to submit the site to the geeks list members
> to see if you guys can "break" it before posting
> it to the outside world. That way I will have
> some confidence that I didn't blunder in some
> subtle way.  :)

I wouldn't count on this as a bullet-proof method - I think its better to
handle this kind of stuff by design.  But getting us to pound on it would
be good so that you know if it breaks on some browser that you don't have
access to.

One of my friends asked a bunch of people to do this on one of his sites.
I told him it didn't look right and sent him a screen shot.  I was using
links in an xterm - once he stopped laughing he did fix the problem
though.  ;-)

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca