[geeks] New Spam Disclaimer

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jun 16 09:59:13 CDT 2002

I just got a piece of spam that begins with:

  Welcome to the Workplacelaw Network, the national legal support service
  for businesses in the UK.

  You have been registered to receive free updates on employment law,
  health and safety and premises management.

Which is funny since:
  1) Unless I've been asleep for a really long time, Texas is not part
     of the UK.
  2) This was at my .edu address, and said .edu is also in Texas.

Now, the disclaimer:
  Please note that, although we have taken steps to ensure that this
  e-mail and any attachments are free from any virus, neither the
  Workplacelaw Network nor the sender accepts any responsibility for
  viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.

It's rather interesting that someone spewing crap about legality wouldn't
know the laws on distributing computer viruses.  Knowingly distributing a
computer virus (and their "taken steps" could simply mean "held a
meeting") is illegal regardless of any disclaimer.

I used to think that lawyers were to scum of the earth, until I met a
couple of attorneys that are actually honest.  Then, I was positive that
spammers were the scum of the earth.  Now, lawyers who spam?  No contest.

--Jonathan