[Geeks] Sun Kit is just BETTER

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 13 13:31:42 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> 3/80 (Why was it even released?)

My understanding was it was Sun hedging their bets.  If the sparcs
had flopped, the 3/80 was a backup plan.  Interesting little beast,
it seems mainly like they took the sparc 1 and slapped a 68030
in it.

Most of the peripherals in the 3/80 are the ones used in the sparc 1.
Apparently that helped cause fits for the free *nix people trying
to support it at first.  A sun3 but with sparc support chips =)

(I realize I'm simplifying this some, as they still had to have
the sun3 MMU and such...)

--Kurt