Pete's irrational fear of SGI was:[geeks] Religion vs. Politics

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jun 13 12:42:27 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
"Peter L. Wargo" <pwargo at basenji.com> wrote:

> IIRC, the 87 used a MIPS R2K processor.  I Could be wrong, but it
> seems to be about right.  The high-end model 89 board set used a
> 4-pack of Sun SPARC processors running at 40MHz.  The unique feature
> was the addition of 8M of static column RAM, making it a true 0ws
> system.  The only problem was heat, and Tek ended up having to have
> customer's systems modified with a new lid to allow heat to vent.
>
> -Pete

Darn, now I don't fel as good about my 88, I want that 89!  Did they
have to use external power? Or does nubus support that much?

man, 4xsparc in a MacII, that is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

These things must have been very rare, and I am sure most of them were
thrown out when somebody decided to clean up the old junk sitting in the
lab closet for years.  Did Tek just do these type of things for Apple
machines, or did they do it for other architectures also?  I guess I
missed that whole side of Tektronix, I thought their only branch away
from lab measurements was the phaser, and that I thought started as an
o'scope printer.

Tim