Pete's irrational fear of SGI was:[geeks] Religion vs. Politics

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Thu Jun 13 10:08:15 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 07:08 , kamakazi wrote:

> ummm, look at the mailer string :-)
> but in my favor I do have the Mac IIfx with the RP88 card.

You get geek karma point for that, and even more if you send it to
me. :-)

As for my attitude towards SGI, it's not irrational.  Touch hot stove,
get burned.  Touch it again, get burned.  Eventually, you get tired of
the pain.  Every dealing I had with SGI was the mental equivalent of
being ass-fucked by a room full of horny gorillas.

> And as my computer room heats up this summer I am not so sure I like the
> Indigo2.  It told me this morning that it died of a cache parity error
> around 4AM, which is a little disturbing in a primary desktop I tend to
> leave stuff in process open on. Can't say for sure it is heat related,
> but it did follow one of the hottest days since I acquired the machine.

Could just be a random bit flip, too.  That does happen.

-Pete