Religion and Politics was Re: [geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jun 12 19:09:54 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 12:14 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

<snip>
> My justification for that fairly "non-religuous" standpoint is,
> regardless
> of how strongly I believe in something, there exists the statistical
> possibility that I am incorrect.  Depending on whether the real answer
> is
> "all religion is crap" or "religion $foo is correct", I would take great
> risk in going to great lengths to convince people of my side.  While I
> have that level of confidence in myself and my beliefs, I do not
> believe I
> have the authority to take such a risk with other people.  Besides that,
> people are intelligent enough to decide things for themselves, and to
> state otherwise is an insult the the intellect and reasoning of others.

Exactly... couldn't have said it any better myself.

Addendum: I believe that any deity from any religion that believes in
approximately one supreme, just, and perfect deity should never forcibly
convert anyone nor believe any other one of $DEITY's uninformed children
are going to hell merely because their beliefs don't match.  Such would
imply an evil and fickle $DEITY.  As long as anyone on this planet tries
to live a reasonably good life (common good... i.e. not killing people,
stealing from them, etc.), then they should have ample opportunity on
judgment day if such exists to be taught the proper religion from $DEITY
should $DEITY exist and be the one true $DEITY.

Addendum double plus: In most religions you find the people who
perpetrate the outsiders are going to hell/aren't saved myth are not
deities or even speaking with the tongue of said deity... they are
mostly whimsical men.

Andrew