[geeks] torrid lunch decision

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 12 11:34:29 CDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Amy wrote:

> Hrm. No junk food here. No cube, either, unless you count the Mac. And
> junk food would be 'lying' around, not 'lieing'..unless the junk food you
> tend to come across is in the habit of constantly deceiving you ;)

"Sugar free", "reduced fat", "new, improved taste!", "all natural", ad
nauseum.

Particularly "sugar free" is the evil one.  My grandmother was diabetic,
and we discovered the hard way that the truth-in-labeling laws will allow
"sugar free" to be placed on a package containing something that is only
"sucrose free", regardless of how many simpler sugars or complex
carbohydrates are in it.  Of course, given the food industry also felt the
need to redefine "calorie", they can certainly get away with using the
common definition of "sugar" instead of the biological one.

--Jonathan