[geeks] Politics

Anthony Guarnieri atg at stormrider.org
Wed Jun 12 10:57:24 CDT 2002

First, a joke: It is discussions like this which yet again prove Ayn Rand
correct when she said that an individual must understand philosophy,
specifically their own philosophy, in order to be able to confront the
world in a rational manner.

Having studied world history and politics for most of my life, I've come
to the conclusion that elections are pointless. The party machinery
controls who can be elected for that party, the bureaucrats at various
election commissions can decide to exclude candidates based on whether or
not they can win a certain number of votes (freedom of speech? whazzat?),
and the people who really run the country, the very rich, support both
parties equally and have for some time (JP Morgan and Rockefeller were
both known to contribute lots to both parties' candidate for President...I
doubt much has changed). Combine this information with the fact that
members of both parties belong to the same organizations (yes Virginia,
the CFR and Trilateral Commission do exist) with leaders of big business
and mass media to achieve the same goals, and the 2 party system is
clearly seen not as any meaningful dichotomy of ideas or principles, but
more of a distraction for the electorate away from the true division which
exists in this country: those who wield the power and the rest of us.

The tools to restore a government in which all people are treated equally
instead of government which bestows privilege upon some and injustice upon
others still exist. It will be a hard road to fight, however. Mass media
is controlled by the very vested interests which wish to maintain the
status quo, and the art of propaganda first excelled at by Goebbels and
the Nazi party has only become for advanced. In Australia, first they have
been disarmed, and now the government almost openly admits spying for
political purposes. The powers that be become more entrenched every day,
while the people busy themselves with hockey games, or are whipped up into
a frenzied panic by our 'Homeland Defense' department....

Want things to change? Get involved. Find someone you trust, someone with
a reputation for honesty and straight dealing, someone who believes in the
principles upon which this country was founded, someone who does NOT want
to be elected, and get him elected. Make him serve. Start with your city
council, and work your way up.

Hell, I even hear this Internet thing could be used for good purposes such
as these :)

If you've read this far, you get a beer if we ever meet.