[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jun 12 10:33:51 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 09:37:58AM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> The best option is to abolish the party system.  Get rid of
> people voting for the party and not the candidate.  Make the
> candidates stand on their own merits, stating their own views.

In theory, that's what we have in the UK (dunno about the US).  In practice,
it's just another party system.  I see no way of stopping any system of
individual candidates from developing this way.

> Another good idea would be to require the politicians to follow
> the will of the people they represent rather than their party.

And how, pray, does one divine "the will of the people"?

Nah, the way to fix our broken sham-democracies is by allowing recall of
representatives.  And the chances of that happening are somewhere less
than zero.  Consequently, seeing that they can't be fixed, they should
be swept aside and replaced, by force if necessary.

  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced