[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Jun 12 10:02:16 CDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Tim H. wrote:

> I don't think so, Religion, if properly applied, gives you a reason for life
> and what happens in it

Personally I always figured the reason I live is due to my Mom, Dad, and
my older sister who once bitched to both of them about wanting someone to
play with and NOT the holy trinity.

> Politics, on the other hand, is just people arguing about who should tell
> other people what to do.

You're obviously religious and proselythising your religion, telling us to
not mix it with politics. Now who's arguing about telling others what to do,
again?

> Religion is internal, politics is completely external.

A belief is a belief, be it in a god, John Ashcroft, or Tiger Woods.
They're all internal beliefs until people start opening their mouths.

> My Political beliefs may be very strong and sincere, but they aren't
> truly political until I broadcast them.

And I assume that until you broadcast them, they're just hot air?

> Politics requires discussion, Religion does not.

Why shouldn't religion require discussion? As I recall most
devoutly religious folk love to go on and on and on about their version
of the beliefs and thoughts of their particular diety. Oh, wait, they just
talk...they don't expect any rational person to come out and question
their version. Right-O.

> Some Religions do require attempts to convince others

Southern Baptists, Pentecostals, Seventh Day Adventists...I could go on
listing versions that require this for days...

> but except for the relatively few militant sects, they do not require
> others to enter into the discussion if they don't desire to.

I thought you said earlier that religion doesn't include discussion?

--a