[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Tue Jun 11 18:51:35 CDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Not at all.  I did use the words "right wing" - There are many republicans
> that I admire.  Hower, the party as a whole has become more and more the
> identifying symbol of money, big business, and conservatism.  I find it
> ironic that the party the Lincoln joined because it was the "liberal"
> bunch is now just the opposite.

One of my democratic friends once said that the democratic party had never
supported slavery. I didn't bother with the details--I threw her a
dog-eared copy of 'Gone With the Wind' and told her to pay attention to
the latter half of the book, which goes into great detail about the
politics during and after the Civil War.

> I wouldn't say I'm overly liberal or conservative.  I am still registered
> as a democrat (keep forgetting to change theat to independent.), having
> grown up in NY, but I vote with my brain.

I was never one party or the other...I just sorta picked the candidate
that seemed to have the most common sense and the least bullshit
dog-and-pony factor. Not hard to do when one supports the right to choose
and the death penalty. ;)

> However, I am pretty sick of both parties.  I also think that any party
> that puses John Ashcroft on is in need of serious help.

Ashcroft reminds me of my grandfather, who once got his ass shot because
he mouthed off too much in front of the wrong people. I'm thinking maybe
the guy never got the hell properly whaled out of him on a second-grade
playground. Unfortunately that's what his comments are gonna end up
inciting in the States, over time.

> Republican party is whining that the Democrats are taking "pot shots" at
> the Bush administration, when they did it for 8 years to Clinton.  They
> whine about how "we're at war", yet congress never passed a declaration of
> war.  They also gave us the HUGELY successful "war on drugs."

That's the problem with our government. They'd rather throw blame and wave
their arms around crying foul than actually identify and fix whatever
problems occur without mudslinging.

> As for conservatives, I can't help but notice that most of the wars going
> on in our world these days are being backed by the conservative branches
> of the governments on each side.

As long as there are men who will never hold a gun against 'the enemy'
controlling the decisions, there will be wars.

--a