[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Tue Jun 11 12:44:41 CDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Gee, I knew the Deep South was scary, but to view Texas as enlightened
> after that makes me *really* want to avoid it. (I spent some time in
> Texas (Grand Prarie), and it really scared me.  Plus, living in Texas
> turned my brother fron a fun-loving guy into a zombie right-wing
> republican.

Austin's...different. 80,000 college kids and it mixes things up...it's
not like the rest of Texas, by a long shot.

> That would be where I work - La Jolla is usually nice and cool - Escondido
> (where I live) can be about 10 degrees more, as it is more desert. (But,
> less humid and more like NM.)

Tell me more about this 'less humid' thing.... ;) So, if nothing else, I
can sit here and wish for fishes. Even 80 degrees, 85 degrees is better
than 97 in the shade with 50%+ humidity.

> The good news is that since we tinted all the windows in the house last
> year, we have not has to use the A/C *once* this year.  Tinting is a good
> idea if you have mucho glass and eastern exposure for a buch of it... :-)

Our house faces due south. We haven't turned on the heat in three
years...A/C's always cranked and recently it's been much better. I shut
off all the vents on the front half of the house (which we never use) and
my office became 8 degrees cooler in the process.

We've been seriously talking about moving lately. I think the heat's just
wearing us down.

--a