[geeks] Lotus Notes

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 11 09:18:35 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:49:23PM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> Martijn Pronk wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else want to rant about Locutus Bloates?
>
> Yes, I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
> I know I'll be swearing in the church for this, but even
> Outlook/Exchange looks more appealing to me. :-(
>
> Nah, I'm happy with Netscape Messanger. It does everything I wants, and
> I'm not using a M$ bloat-app. :-)

When I worked at Pfizer, I used Outlook/Exchange.  Outlook feels fast
compared to Notes.

But anyway, the Outlook/Exchange combo did a lot of cool things that
you often don't see being done except in either O/E or Notes.  For
instance, in addition to scheduling meetings via Outlook, we could
also claim conference rooms.  It was also used for travel booking and
expense reports/reimbursement.

And I thought that Outlook was one of the better programs for
intelligently combining notes, scheduling, address books, and email.

Now, none of these features are very world shaking.  And it doesn't
even really do them well (it is too rigid, requiring things like
adding a person to the address book before you can formally refer to
him, etc).  So, why do so little else do it?

Writing my own PIM my own way is something that continues to be on my
todo list.  I want to ignore email initially and make the main system
a Palm app.  I wish that PocketSmalltalk would get the next version
released so that I can use it on linux.

--
Joshua D. Boyd