[geeks] Just when you thought the usa was gun happy :-)

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Fri Jun 7 22:49:52 CDT 2002

The General Electric Avenger cannon (used on tha A10 plane) uses it's high rate of fire for armor penetration.  The rate of fire is so high, and the plane is (relatively) slow, so basically the rounds hit in the same spot, allowing non-explosive, spent uranium core (think heavy) projectiles to basically hammer through armor.  Sure, you can't shoot that same bullet once and kill a tank, and at 20 or 30 rounds a minute your shots will all hit different places, also not killing the tank, but at 1200 rds a minute (low speed) a burst of 50 rds hitting almost the same spot will make a hole.  It's a slick gun, but technology has moved on. Darn, a million a minute?!  if you had enough ammo you could kill a tank with a 22 at that rate.

Tim