[geeks] Info for Cheap/Acceptable PC upgrades

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Jun 7 15:34:11 CDT 2002

Yes, but the fact that NT has kernel and user mode somewhat mitigates
that.  Badly written drivers bring NT down (random crashes you're
talking about... coupled with possibly bad hardware).  A program that is
badly written in user space will not ever bring the system down unless
it manages to run long enough that it tickles the hardware portion...
(consuming system resources through memory leaks etc.)  Usually such
badly written apps crash themselves long before they down the OS.  On my
Dual Pro Intel PR440 I've only had a blue screen from the earlier nVidia
Detonator drivers and my TNT1 (which is now long gone... It's a GeForce
2MX and has no problems now)...nothing else.  On my father's Dell's in
his office he occasionally has them from bad SCSI drivers and the Zip
drive, and/or mixed NT 4.0 and 2000 print drivers (before 2000, NT 4.0
placed the print drivers in kernel mode... how dumb is that?)

Andrew