[geeks] Just when you thought the usa was gun happy :-)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jun 7 07:42:59 CDT 2002

Kevin Lee wrote:

> DO NOT START FLAME WAR....
>
> Just a cool article.....about the AUSSIES...
>
> http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0206_13/p034innov.html
>
> 1 million rounds a second...thats a lot.

Good idea, bad implementation - at least for infantry situations.
Reloading the weapon seems to be an extremely laborious process
involving an activity not unlike a muzzle-loading rifle - either that or
you need to fit a new barrel to the reciever to reload.  The website
doesn't seem to have any info on reloading, at least that I could find
(www.metalstorm.com).  That seams to be the most major flaw in this
platform design - sure it can fire 1 million rounds per minute, but if
it takes you 15 minutes to reload, the effectiveness is greatly
decreased.

The handgun idea is also a neat toy, but severely lacking in terms of
reload time and effectiveness.

However, for semi-permanent placements like border crossings, phalanxs,
and as a replacement for minefields, this may have excellent application
possibilities.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com