[geeks] DOS IS Ok....unix is better.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 7 06:45:18 CDT 2002

> Rasing hand....I used a couple of Quarterdeck products on my 386 laptop
> back in, um, oh hell I dunno - long ago.  I don't understand why they
> had to be called 'TSR' - my guess is that 'daemon' wasn't freindly

They were called TSRs because the original program was no longer running.
Aside from its hooks it had completely relinquished control to DOS and
whatever program might be loaded afterwards.  DOS was single-tasking.

The only way the TSR would run code after termination was if the running
program touched on the of the hooks that the TSR had installed before
terminating.

> enough or something.  Then, of course when WinNT came out they changed
> the name to 'service'.  Have they changed it again to something else
> with WinXP or .NET?

No, they're still services, and services are basically daemons, only
different.

--Jonathan