[geeks] Dynamic files / filesystems?

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Thu Jun 6 07:28:43 CDT 2002

This is still a ways off but I'd like to solicit opinions:

I'm building my multimedia store around a 100Gb drive in a PC to house
primarily my ripped CD collection. I'd like to use FLAC (since I'm more
concerned about quality than space) but my plans still require access to
mp3s. Rather than have 2 duplicate directory trees storing FLAC files in one
and the mp3 version on the other and the subsequent management headaches and
unnecessary space consumption, I was hoping to somehow have a dynamic
filesystem where the mp3 directory tree is but a shadow of the FLAC
filesystem, and all reads of the mp3 version of a song actually trigger a
JIT transform of the underlying FLAC file to mp3.

Now the Mona (Modify-on-Access) filesystem
(http://www.cse.nd.edu/~ssr/projects/mona/) seems to support this, but it
looks like it's a research project and not exactly ready for prime time. Are
there better ways to accomplish the same task?

"Rub the bee. Rub the bee.
Keep rubbing the bee or damn
  your eyes, your life is ashes.
YOUR LIFE IS ASHES."