[geeks] quiet

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 6 06:26:53 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Amy [mailto:scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net]
~ Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:49 PM
~ To: geeks at sunhelp.org
~ Subject: Re: [geeks] quiet

~ 1. I'm getting tired of computers. I wasn't raised with them
~ like most of
~ you guys were..they weren't allowed. My mom considered computers and
~ nintendo and the like to be bad--not to mention they were too
~ expensive at
~ the time. Until 1996 or so I had a viable life away from a monitor. I
~ went out, I saw people, I interacted with folks on a much
~ more human level
~ than ASCII.

I'm with you. I was raised with them and now I don't do much that isn't
related to them on a daily basis. I'm tired of them. I've thought of going
back into the building trades or expanding one of my artistic traits into
something sellable. I think the problem with them is that they are so
versatile that they become all-consuming. Eveything I do can be done by or
with a computer. The other problem is that they require a LOT of attention
to run right (or lots of clued employees). I end up working 9 or 10 hour
days AND get paged at night AND the wife wants me to fix something of hers
when I get home.

~ I now find that I cannot eat
~ anything but pickles and diet coke without feeling ill for hours
~ afterwards. This has been going on for two weeks and it's
~ getting to me.

Hrm, pickles and diet coke? Are you pregnant : )
Actually, once you stop eating something your body "forgets" how to digest
it. More specifically, the body has to manufacture the correct enzyme to
digest each thing we eat. Take it from a vegitarian, quick changes in diet
can result in illness. Since animal fats are the hardest thing to digest, I
suggest you start with something grain or veggie based and skip the milk.
Veggie oils are the second hardest thing to digest, so avoid fastfood fries
at first too.

~ 3. I've been trying to simplify things in my life..from thoughts to
~ actions to material things. It's left me with a strange wish
~ to just get
~ in my car and disappear off the face of the planet for
~ awhile.

Yup, you aren't alone. I'm thinking of separate vacations this year so I can
camp "in the rough" (not at a campground, which leaves the wife at a loss).
This is normal, just look as Ralph Waldo Emmerson.

~ 4. In the past 60 days I've figured out that I've screwed away ten years,
~ countless friends, family <snip>.

Family usually comes around, real friends will understand. Don't be
surprised if you have to make the first gesture, cause they won't know
theres been a change. Call someone, see how it goes.

I have found that depression results in inactivity and immobility. I have
also found that inactivity and immobility reinforces depression. Ya gotta
break the cycle and just go DO something. Many times it doesn't matter what
you do as long as its something you aren't doing now.