[geeks] A new challenge...

Martijn Pronk martijn at smartie.xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 5 17:08:15 CDT 2002

Hello All,

Is there anyone on this list who has done a network install of Solaris
(8) without a
Solaris Installserver? I'm trying to reinstall my SparcStation 4
(without CD drive in it)
and I want to use my FreeBSD server as installserver.

I've been trying this evening to get the Solaris CD's on the server ,
without using the
setup_installserver scripts (have been looking at them, they just
essentially do
a find + cpio combo), because the scripts ofcourse don't run on *BSD.
So by doing manually what these scripts do, I think I've got all the
required packages
on disk.

When i tried booting my Sun, it loads the kernel from the network
(C3WL!), but then
it panics at some point :-( (Couldn't get the panic message, it reboots
instantly)
So I configured /etc/ethers, hosts, bootparams & whatnot, but still no
workin'....

Anyone with ideas?

Thanks,

Martijn