[geeks] Re: Career advice

Scott McCool scottm at students.missouri.edu
Tue Jun 4 18:03:39 CDT 2002

I've been trying to look into this... I've found lots of references to the
"20 questions" used to help determine whether you're a contractor or
employee.  The IRS FAQ is a little more general, talking about the degree
of behavior control, financial control, and the relationship of the
parties.  It would _seem_ to me that as long as things are worded right,
and as long as I file the proper forms (quarterly in some cases), and
agree with how 'the boss' is treating this, I shouldn't have too many
problems... Am I mistaken?  Do I need to incorporate myself?

For those of you waiting on the edge of your seats, I still haven't
decided.  I'm waiting to hear back about whether they're intrested in me
working on or architecting the port of their J2EE product to other
platforms, which is a significant plus to me as it means more unix...

-Scott