[geeks] *blink*

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:51:09 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 07:52:08PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 07:30 , Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> >http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/ax4b-533Tube.htm
> >
> >This has *got* to be a joke.
> >
> >(note audio output stage)
>
> I dunno, dood.  It could be real - many of us *like* tubes...

It is insane to put them on the motherboard.

First, it strikes me as insane to put them inside the computer case at
all for noise interference reasons.

Second, it is insane to put them at the bottom of the case where the
heat will fry your scsi/fcal/whatever cards.

Third, they'd have to do something different with that part of the
board because I'm pretty sure that you can't feed that much electricty
as is needed for proper tube useage through traces the size that are
used on today's mobos.

I personally suspect that it is a left over april fools thing.

But, anyway, if one does want tubes, I think it would be best to take
a S/PDIF (or ASU/EBU) digital out and connect it to a tube based DAC unit.

--
Joshua D. Boyd