[geeks] Blink-NeXT Cases

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 4 10:06:34 CDT 2002

In the case of the rare NeXT bird, sales of the unit demands knowing
your buyer well and insuring that said buyer will give it a good home
and preserve it for posterity.  Such can be said for any of the
following machines and older (but especially NeXT machines and other
rarities where a top of the line 10 year old system is still going for 3
grand):

Sun 3 and older (esp older)
any VAX product
SGI's in the IRIS or Powerseries or older.
Cyber's
Data General machines (esp. 88k's)
Cray 6400's
Univac, Eniac, etc.
Licensed copies of really old software like Xenix (esp. + hardware like
the old Altos machines that ran it)
NeXT products (including t-shirts, coffee mugs, stickers, and
paraphernalia)
Tandem products
IBM POWERstations and PowerPC products in the MCA era
anything unobtainium

Case in point... I have a useless machine that I have kept together as
is... 500MB HD etc. just for the nostalgic value of the fact that it is
an Apple internal prototype.  It's an 8100/80AV prototype.  There's only
one person in the world so far that I think I'd give it to free of
charge... and that's Pete.  I know he'd appreciate it.

Andrew