[geeks] Cisco "firewall" solutions

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Wed Jul 17 09:12:20 CDT 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:
> Does Cisco make a product/router with two ethernet interfaces, that I
> can use *unnumbered*/transparenty to protect the systems on my network?

IIRC they do but I'd have to peruse the warehouse at work to see what
specifically will do this.  The first things that come to mind:

* A PIX something - the PIX 520 (a PII PC in a 4U rackmount booting a
custom firmware) and PIX 515 (1U rackmount, dual integrated ethernet?
with 2 PCI slots) are examples I most commonly see
* Anything running IOS capable of having multiple ethernet interfaces,
as in:
   4000 series
   2600 series
   1750
   1605

For a PC-based solution there's Coyote Linux and LRP (and a couple
others I'm sure), both of which are "distributions" aimed at firewalls
running with only a floppy or bootable CD.  Pray you don't ever need
more than 2 ethernet ports :)

There's also the FreeBSD, umm, "variant" PicoBSD, but I don't know if
the kernel is compiled with firewall support.  'tis been a while since I
looked at it.

I'm not aware of any "floppy firewalls" based off [Net|Open]BSD.

Phil