[geeks] YAFSGIB (Yet Another Freakin SGI Box)

Ken Hansen n2vip at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 18:04:08 CST 2002

--- Bjorn Ramqvist <brt at g.haggve.se> wrote:

> The Origin200 is braindead by the fact that it's a
> disaster to expand.
> Once you've filled your three(!) PCI-slots and
> filled it up with disks,
> you're out. To increase the number of PCI-slots and
> get those
> o-so-wonderful XIO-slots, you have to buy the
> "GigaChannel" option, for
> lots of $$$. (Fancy name, eh?)
> You CAN ofcourse expand it with another system using
> CrayLink cables and
> get a four processor, six PCI-slot Single System
> Image machine, with
> that doubled system cost.
> That's what braindead to me.

Fair enough... Opinions differ, but I see where your
coming from...

> So, to summarize: It's a perfect, wonderful, fast
> and reliable machine
> fulfilling your need, until you've reached it's I/O
> limits. By that
> time, get an Origin2000.

Oh, this is just for dinking around with - as a
practical matter, I'll most likely lose interest
before I out-grow it's abilities...

XIO sounds familiar, would that option fit inside the
system case? I wonder if it is included... The machine
I am getting reports 4 SCSI channels/chains, I wonder
if that means it has add-in SCSI cards??? (I know it
has a fast and an U/W SCSI chain, I wonder if there is
an internal and an external chain built into the
mother board?)

I wonder what tyoes of things I could do with the
fiber connection - is it just for cluster functions?

Thanks for the insight,

Ken

=====
Ken