[geeks] fuel

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Thu Jan 31 06:51:29 CST 2002

Ken Hansen wrote:

> > Look at the Origin300 - perfect replacement for the
> > braindead Origin200,
> > with awesome performance and scalability at a great
> > price, also
> > Onyx3000/Origin3000-based.
>
> Uh-oh, I just bought an Origin 200 (dual 180 R10Ks,
> 256M, couple mystery drives, CD, tape backup) to dink
> with... Do you dismiss the Origin 200 for the price or
> the technology (mine is very cheap, as in the price I
> am paying may match the value of the SCSI devices
> installed)...

The Origin200 is braindead by the fact that it's a disaster to expand.
Once you've filled your three(!) PCI-slots and filled it up with disks,
you're out. To increase the number of PCI-slots and get those
o-so-wonderful XIO-slots, you have to buy the "GigaChannel" option, for
lots of $$$. (Fancy name, eh?)
You CAN ofcourse expand it with another system using CrayLink cables and
get a four processor, six PCI-slot Single System Image machine, with
that doubled system cost.
That's what braindead to me.

So, to summarize: It's a perfect, wonderful, fast and reliable machine
fulfilling your need, until you've reached it's I/O limits. By that
time, get an Origin2000.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB