[geeks] Little Kids + Unix

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 30 21:44:47 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:01:01PM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:

> I always thought it would be interesting to make the ghostscript graphics
> library routines available to some form of lisp.

What do you mean exactly?  There is a project, FPS.  The description of it is:
     Imagine taking the primitives of PostScript and providing them in a more functional-language kind of way. That's what Olin Shivers' group has done.

    FPS is a portable system for doing device-independent, resolution- independent graphics from Scheme programs. It is PostScript, with the Forth computational engine replaced with Scheme. At present, it runs on SCSH.

Unfortunatly, it's home page appears to be dead.  But, does that sound like
what you wanted?

You could also write a lisp system to spit out postscript.  I have a project
where I plan to do this, as soon as I figure out what postscript to spit out.

I have a .ps file.  I have .eps files.  .eps files are supposed to be just
regular old postscript, minus any absolute positioning.  Can I just do a
moveto in postscript to where I want the .eps, then cat the .eps in?  These
are the questions I need to answer before I get to the lisp stuff.  BTW, the
short description of the app is that the .eps files are created by imagemagick
from .jpgs, and now I need to print them onto forms.

--
Joshua D. Boyd