[geeks] Little Kids + Unix

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jan 30 00:09:08 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:45:03PM -0600, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> I was /sick/ of windows after a couple years of it.  I loved UNIX as
> soon as I started using it.  It didn't take much to get me off windows
> 95 and onto an ELC, at 12.  Your mileage may vary.

At 14/15, I was interlibrary-loan-ing the AT&T SysV UNIX manuals that
I could get my hands on, and tweaking my Atari ST to make it more
UNIX-like.

I didnt get my first UNIX box until college at age 18... and for a year
before that I was a VMS hacker.  I still have a soft spot for DEC
equipment.

mm.  STUBRADFOWC at MERCUR.USAO.EDU.  VMS 5-5.2 with Multinet.  Anybody
else remember the "yoyodyne.com" and "bigboote at yoyodyne.com" examples
in the Multinet manuals?  I was the only one who "got" it, in our
entire department.. and they thought I was funny because I was laughing
while reading a *manual*...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford