[geeks] *DROOL*

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 29 13:02:23 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:01:03PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> There's an even more insidious problem with having 280 machines in one
> rack, at least with Compaq's current design.  Their cages have no way to
> connect serial consoles externally, and their administration option is a
> terminal server on the interconnect card -- which only connects to the
> twenty blades in the shelf.  So you end up burning 14 IP#s and hub ports
> on 14 terminal servers per rack too.  The only good thing about this is
> you only have 14 more cables per rack to connect instead of 280!  ;-)

But, that doesn't need to be a problem.  You can just use 192.168 blocks, and
if those look like they might be running out reuse blocks and have a machine
smartly switch between them (ie if telneting to machine A the middle machines
routes it to 192.168.0.1 on port 1, if machine B, it goes to 192.168.0.1 on
port 2.).  A pain, but if you have that many computers (more than 64
thousand), you should be able to figure out how to do something like this.

Still, I wouldn't want to run such a setup.

--
Joshua D. Boyd