[geeks] *DROOL*

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jan 29 01:43:10 CST 2002

[ On , January 28, 2002 at 20:56:36 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] *DROOL*
>
> On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 19:58, James Sharp wrote:
> > > I know the performance of the G4 is better than a Pentium, but can you
> > > get 280 of them in a 42U rack?
> > >
> > > http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/proliant-bl/e-class/index.html
> > >
> > > Only about 1/2 million bucks...  I want a rack of these for my birthday
> >
> > Why would you need to?
>
> You're running a hosting service for Linux weinies, and want to give
> them dedicated machines to get hacked by script kiddies?

that's a pretty major waste of $500,000 or so for such a purpose....

you can put a heck of a lot more than 280 virtual CPUs in a rack if you
fill it with an IBM S-390 and run Linux (or whatever) under VM, and for
about the same price at a good starter level.  They'll probably perform
nearly as well for most linux-wienie things too (so long as they don't
try to run CPU-only jobs on all the virtual machines, eg. distributed.net)

The S-390 will be a lot easier to manage, and perhaps even more reliable
(certianly a WAY lot more reliable than any one blade).

--
								Greg A. Woods