[geeks] *DROOL*

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Jan 29 00:34:44 CST 2002

> > birthday
> > >
> > > Why would you need to?
> >
> > I do more with my computers than just read email.
>
>   Hoooo boy.  James is a bad person to say that to.  I'm going to go
> hide under my bed for a while. 8)

*grin*

I merely meant I'm trying to figure out the endless desire to replace a
decent machine or two with racks and racks and racks of cheap-ass PeeCees
and then "load-balance" across them.

Fault tolerance?  Sure...when one of 90 machines dies, you throw it away.
What happens when your load balancer blows chow?  Your million dollar rack
of PCs turns into a lava lamp.

Cost effectiveness?  Hmm...half a million for racks and racks of PCs.
Much less than that for an E450 that will eat them all for lunch.  Not to
mention the extra man power you need to manage the racks and racks.  Sure,
they can all be images...but still, someone has to keep at least half an
eye on each of them.  Don't forget to add the cost and maintenance of the
load balancer in there.

Simple space management?  Hrm.  48 1U PCs in one rack...or one 6 or 7u
E450.

I'd go on...but dial-up reallyreally sucks and I'm tired of the 1/4 - 1/2
second echo lag I'm getting.  I'm going to make mad passionate love to my
DSL router and FDDI concentrator when I get home.

Er.  Yeah.