[geeks] I guess I'll ask again

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 28 21:16:07 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 11:32:48AM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I didn't get an answer last time ... maybe got drowned out.

Dave answered it..

> I have an IBM RS/6000 7006 41T that I plan to hook up to an IBM P70
> monitor that was included.  The reason the monitor was included in the old
> equipment is probably because it is fine except that there is a blurry
> oval shaped area in the center of the tube.  Is there any way to fix this?
> It's a great monitor otherwise.

Degaussing?

> Secondarily I notice that hooking a Sun Sparc LX to it makes it crash.  I
> can't turn the screen off or adjust any of the controls, however the
> picture is fine.  I have to pull the plug and re-plug every time I reboot,
> however, since the screen reset makes it look like the scrolling text in
> Star Wars.

Sounds like "not compatible". 8-)

> Third: Does a Sparcstation LX or a CG3 equipped SS2 work with a 13W3->VGA
> adapter, and any caveats?

If you have the right adapter, yes.  CG3 should be fine since its
1152x900 only.  Just make sure you have a good vga monitor.

> Does the IBM 41T also work that way?  I am
> assuming the cable pinouts might be different (hence the onboard monitor
> computer crashing when hooked up via Sun 13W3 cable to a Sparc LX.

They're definitely different, and not compatible.  You need a special
monitor cable for the 41T.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford