[geeks] and you thought the 'Mog was big..

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jan 28 18:56:44 CST 2002

[ On Monday, January 28, 2002 at 15:47:08 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] and you thought the 'Mog was big..
>
> http://www.hardocp.com/new_img_02/jan/cat.html
>
> Wow.

Have you not seen that TLC or Discovery show about "Monster Machines"
where they document the big heavy off-highway mine haulers?  As I recall
the Cat 793B isn't even a really big one.  In the show they have a
helicopter shot of an 18-wheeler >50-foot tanker truck passing one in a
mine, and the tanker looks like a Dinky Toy.

Ah, no, the big one is the Cat 797. 1,155 more horsepower, 468,000 lbs
heavier, and 120 cu yd. more capacity than the one in that picture --
i.e. not quite twice as big as the one in that picture.  :-)

The Cat 797 is currently the largest off-highway mining truck in the world.

On the show they talk about some of the accidents that have happened,
but I don't remember seeing any shots of the end result like that
picture.  IIRC one of the (female) drivers described driving those
things as being like driving a three-storey house!

--
								Greg A. Woods