[geeks] wireless wonders

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jan 27 18:06:43 CST 2002

Traded some stuff for a Lucent silver wavelan card today, brought it
home, slapped it in the winblowsxp work laptop, worked right away.
Downloaded the firmware updater, did that too.  Walked into Amy's
room, "excellent" signal (well, its like 10 feet away on the other
side of a wall).  Walked into the living room, "low".  Walked into
the kitchen, "very low" - but at least I still *had* a signal, and
even a 1.5megabit wireless connection is only SLIGHTLY slower than
our 2megabit uplink on the cablemodem.

Now to find another Lucent card and a PCI<->PCMCIA carrier so I can
get rid of one more ethernet cable in the house (Amy's), and maybe
one of the Proxim 802.11 cards for the P133 thinkpad thats going
to run the Icom scanner.  Then, the only "wired" system left in
the house will be the SunBlade, with 100baseT (which is also the
home DNS box and the fileserver).

The G4 Cube's already got an Airport card..  Its weird, though, the
Cube is about six feet away from the AP, and it doesent get 100%
signal.. I can take the laptop with the Wavelan silver card into
the next *room* and still get excellent signal.

Maybe I need to get one of the Lucent external antennas.

I should put Linux on the other thinkpad and go wardriving
downtown. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford