[geeks] Re: [rescue] OpenBSD

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Jan 27 14:24:03 CST 2002

Gah!  forgot to most the first reply or two over, oops!

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 22:08, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> What does OpenBSD need?  Here are some of my ideas:
> 1) Better advocacy.  I'm not talking about the zealots.  I'm talking about
> people who know when to use the right tool for the right job, going out into
> forums like this and speaking candidly about what OpenBSD is and what it is
> not.
> 2) Less hostility (complements #1 above).  The lists @openbsd.org are very
> hostile territory.  You never hear stories of Linus Torvalds using childish
> taunts against Linux newbies asking questions in public forums, but this is
> the norm for Theo DeRaadt when dealing with users of his own OS.  He
> actually seems to get off on abusing people who are struggling to learn his
> OS.  I think if the loudmouths would shut up and the more helpful people
> would take over the OpenBSD lists, this OS would find more widespread use.

Absolutely.  Maybe we should start an "openbsdhelp.org" site, where
there are FRIENDLY people giving out openbsd advice?  I use it a lot,
and love it, but those guys on the lists (except Big Mike) are total
Assholes.  It's not just Theo, either.

> 3) Improved installer.  I like how lightweight it is.   But from Red Hat's
> Linux distribution, I've fallen in love with Disk Druid.  I'd love to see a
> scaled down version of Disk Druid in the OpenBSD installer.  The fdisk in
> there is just too inaccessible for newbies.

I'd love to see the installer not break on things that are perfectly
reasonable, like putting swap as something other than slice b.

> 4) package management system.  something like Debian or Red Hat.  I don't
> care which.  Just please track dependencies so you don't go deleting shared
> libraries that are being used by someone else.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of package management.  Ports doesn't cut it, and
on the machines that I use most of the time, compiling from source isn't
an option (it'd be -days- before the machine was usable, assuming that
it just compiled the entire time).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.