[geeks] Re: [rescue] Boats?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri Jan 25 14:33:11 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 12:25, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 25, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > I liked the scene in "Under Siege" where they fire the gun and
> > the force of the blast blows the guy across the deck.  I don't
> > know if that part is accurate, but I'm sure the near-insanity
> > he experienced due to the pain fromm the extreme sound was.
>
>   I believe the point there was [temporary] ear damage due to the
> shock wave.  Balance is handled by the inner ear, if memory
> serves...so he was One Dizzy Bitch after that gun went off.

On a rather similar note..  I seem to recall a story about these huge
coastal defense guns being installed someplace.  They were designed so
that the guns sat in a huge "pit", and raised up out of the pit to fire,
then dropped back down out of sight.  They didn't count on the sound of
the gun killing anyone who was crewing it, because of the sound/echo
from the pit.  Ouch.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.