[geeks] Yumm.

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Jan 25 01:14:44 CST 2002

> On January 24, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > When ramps were in season some people would eat a lot of them,
> > causing them to have breath so bad you couldn't be in the same
> > room.  When I was growing up (in WV) I remember several instances
> > when students would be sent home due to eating ramps.
>
>   What's a ramp?

A wild leek (allium tricoccum), native to the North American
woodlands.

Ramp is a Scots dialect variation of the English word ramson,
which was the common name for Allium ursinum (wild garlic).

The settlers from either Scotland or Ireland gave the name
ramp to the allium tricoccum, which they found either in
the southeastern United States or Appalachia.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net