[geeks] BB? no, Cricket!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jan 24 22:04:38 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 22:23:56 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] BB?
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:34:25PM -0800, Nina Bersamina wrote:
> > Ive installed and maintained bb in a few places, I was
> > running it here, but destroyed it when I reinstalled
> > my system (heh) I am playing with the idea of
> > installing it again.
> >
> > I would love to install cricket but it has way too
> > many dependencies for me to spend any amount of time
> > trying to get together.  (anyone coming to hawaii
> > soon?)
>
> If you had ssh on the system, it looks like it should be easy enough for
> someone to install remotely.

It's trivial to install Cricket remotely, once you have the dependencies
figured out (they're mostly all new perl modules, but of course there's
also RRDtool and a CGI-capable web server to think of).  I think I've
got the full list of NetBSD pkgsrc modules finally worked out.  You
don't even need root to do a full cricket install, though if you want to
separate who is allowed to configure it from the user-ID the collector
runs as then you'll need to add at least one unique new user.

It's not so easy to make a decent package of Cricket though -- I've
basically given up, esp. since I've hacked my source tree for it quite a
bit.

--
								Greg A. Woods