[geeks] scale

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:46:58 CST 2002

Well, while I'm still on link posting overload today:

Some stuff about the Wayback Machine.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/01/18/brewster.html

If you skipp down near the end of the first page, you see that their database
is stored on IDE drives.  Earlier they say they are redundant, so I'm guessing
that the 100mb data blocks are copied to more than one IDE data machine.

I thought it was an interesting approach to dealing with such large datasets.
Everynow and then I consider the idea of just going and doing a software
mirrored raid 0+1 IDE file server (1 drive per chanel) rather than continueing
to wait till I can afford a "real" server.

--
Joshua D. Boyd